FOSS.IN/2010 is happening at the very cool NIMHANS Convention centre!
This is what the front entrance of the venue looks like:
Don’t be fooled by the size, it may look small from the outside, but believe you me, this venue is absolutely colossal. Nice large rooms for the WorkOuts. Massive halls for Talks, and the most important area of the conference the hack centre, well the whole venue is a hack centre. By the time we are through arranging the venue it will be a really fun place to just hang out and hack.
NIMHANS Convention Center
Nimhans Hospital Premises,
Hosur Road, Bangalore- 560029
Landmark: Near Dairy Circle
By City Taxi
They are a very convenient and comfortable option, but slightly more expensive. It could cost you Rs. 100 for travelling from the Bangalore Bus Stand ( Majestic ) to NIMHANS convention center.
The actual rates are Rs 15 for every kilometer with a 6Km to 10Km minimum depending on the taxi service you use.
The newer taxis which are radio taxis are very efficient and prompt. They have brand new Maruti SX4 cars (sedans) with Air Conditioning and a printed bill at the end of your journey. The older taxis are Maruti Omni Vans. Other than that, they are quite fast.
You need to call the following numbers for availing this service.
- Meru Cabs Tel: 91-80-4422-4422
- City Safari Tel: 91-80-2553-9999, 91-80-4110-6666
- Chamundi City Taxi Tel: 91-80-2520-0333 , 91-80-2529-3222
- Roman Taxis Tel: 91-80-2548-6606, 91-80-2548-6616
- Spot Taxis Tel: 91-80-2551-0000
- Unicorn [for Kinetic Honda Bike rentals] Tel: 98440-24365
By Auto Rickshaw (Three Wheeler)
Oh! Boy, you ought to ride one of these. These are 3 wheelers and will bring you from anywhere to NIMHANS convention center.
If you are new to India, you may want to know how to hire one of these three wheelers.
- When you see an auto, just wave to the driver and he should stop.
- Never ask the driver whether he would kindly take you to the destination – all Bangaloreans know that this is asking for trouble!
- Sit in the auto rikshaw, make yourself comfortable, then (without batting an eyelid) say “NIMHANS convention center, near dairy Circle”, then look nonchalantly out of the door on your left, having done your duty of telling him where you want to go.
For a ride from Bangalore Bus Stand ( Majestic / Railway Station ) the fare should be about Rs. 120. You can also avail the services of Prepaid counters to hire one. Prepaid counters are located in many parts of the city- MG Road, Majestic, Koramangalra etc.
When operated out of city limits and between 22:00 and 05:00, the autos charge one and a half times the normal meter reading.
BEWARE!! : Please ensure that the driver puts the fare-meter flag down, and that you pay the fares ONLY according to the auto meter. There are no conversion charts applicable!
By City Bus
Bus Sevice from Majestic Bus Stand (Platform No.13 & 14) to reach NIMHANS (Route Nos. are 171, 171c, 165, 168) Red board : 365, 369, D, F, C, 360
More details about getting around in the city can be found here
If you are having trouble getting to the venue, then try the following site:
Bangalore Traffic Information System is a site which has information on traffic, including “live” traffic, routes and finally if you want to know which buses to use it will tell you that as well. It also tells you the distance and the approximate auto-fare. However, be warned, the auto fares may not be accurate and depend on the whims and fancy of the auto-driver.
Hotels near NIMHANS Convention Center
- Raj Residency, No.47/2, Nr Dairy Circle, Opp. Marble Center International, 16th Crs, Lakksanddra, Bannerghatta Rd, Adugodi. Tel: +(91)-(80)-22109771, 22101027, +(91)-9945567978
- The Libra Hotel, No. 11/1, Near Christ Collage, Hosur Main Road. Tel : 91- 080- 41106000
- Ajantha, 22 MG Road. Tel:+91 80 2558-4321.
- Gangothri Hotel Bangalore, 14, 80 Feet Road, Near Hanuman Temple,6th Block Koramangala. Tel: 080-25633548, 08025633550.
- Golden Gates Hotel, 200/3, Laxmi Towers, RV Road,Near South End Circle, Next to Bangalore Hospital. Tel: 080 41204555
- Grand Pavilion Hotel Bangalore, 114, Kengal Hanumanthaiah Road (KH Rd.), Double Road. Tel: 080 41316751
- Ramanashree Hotel Bangalore, 16, Raja Ram Mohan Roy Road,Richmond Circle, Diagonally Opposite Mallya Hospital. Tel: 080 22225152
- Nahar’s Heritage Hotel, 14, St. Mark’s Road. Tel : 080-22278731 – 36
- Pai Viceroy Jayanagar, 1504, 16th Cross, 9th Main,Jayanagar 3rd Block. Tel: +91 – 80 – 26535400
- President Hotel, 79/8, Diagonal Road,Jayanagar 3rd Block. Tel: 080 41808777
- Grand Ashok Hotel, Kumara Krupa High Grounds. Tel:+91 80 22-2404-2211.
- Taj Residency Hotel, 41/3 MG Road. Tel:+91 80 5660-4444.
- Chancery Pavilion, Residency Road.